U`khand SIC recommends CBI probe in NRHM scam
New Delhi: Uttarakhand State Information Commission has ordered the state government to get a CBI probe done into alleged irregularities in the distribution of medicines worth crores of rupees under NRHM programme, as top health official of the state expressed inability to probe the scam due to non-cooperation from staff.
The orders were issued on a plea of one Ramesh Chandra Sharma who had alleged serious irregularities in the distribution of medicines worth Rs 14.70 crores under the National Rural Health Mission programme.
Sharma had filed RTI application in this regard but after not getting complete information, he approached the state information commission.
Considering it a matter of larger public interest, the Commission ordered an inquiry by senior officials of health department last year.
State Information Commissioner Anil Sharma noted in his order that despite orders the state government did not present detailed investigation report into alleged scam on last three dates.
Director General (Health, Medical and Family Welfare) J S Pangtey, who was present during the hearing, told Commission that officials of the health department were not cooperating in the investigations, hence Commission may order probe by an independent agency.
He also expressed "inability" in completing probe into the alleged irregularities because of non-cooperation of the state officials.
However, Pangtey presented an interim report into alleged irregularities.
The report shows quantity of drugs to be procured was substantially increased without any basis, none of the districts provided details of their warehouse stocks and other inventory details which make it difficult to ascertain whether the drugs were actually distributed or thrown out as alleged.
Taking cognisance of the report, the Commission sealed it and ordered a CBI inquiry.
Sharma said the report of the health department should be forwarded to CBI in the sealed cover through Chief Secretary with necessary formalities for a probe by the central agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!