Uma Bharti, Nishank face protests in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Senior BJP leaders Uma Bharti and Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank today faced public rage as they arrived at Shrinagar in Uttarakhand to oppose the uplifting of the Dhari Devi temple, facing the threat of being submerged by the 330 mw Alknanda hydel project underway in the area.
The saffron leaders were shown black flags by locals, who are in favour of uplifting the temple, which according to them is a "technical necessity" for the completion of the project.
This triggered a clash between supporters of the hydel project and those against it but no one was injured as police personnel deployed at the spot soon brought the situation under control, Shrinagar SDM Raza Abbas said.
Considering the sensitivity of the matter, additional police forces have been deployed in the area, he said.
The BJP is opposed to uplifting of the over a century old temple, which it says is "an affront to its sanctity".
But locals who have given their land for the project are in favour of its completion as they feel they would gain nothing if it is stalled midway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- Mulayam, Akhilesh scared of me; not allowing Muslim leaders in SP to speak up, alleges Asaduddin Owaisi