Uma Bharti urges country`s leadership to save Ganga
Haridwar: Former Madhya Pradesh Chief
Minister Uma Bharti, who has been fasting here since May 9
over the issues related to river Ganga, on Sunday urged the
country`s top leadership to join hands for saving the pious
Noting that river Ganga is not a political issue but a
matter of faith and heritage, Bharti appealed to Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh, UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi, senior
BJP leader LK Advani and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister
Mayawati to take steps that will help protecting the river.
After taking a dip in Ganga at Har-Ki-Pauri here, she
told reporters that it is everyone`s duty to make sincere
efforts for its protection.
She claimed that no representative of the Centre had
contacted her so far since she began her fast.
"Since Ganga is not an issue that can attract votes in
the election, it seems the Centre does not want to think or do
beyond vote bank politics," former BJP leader said.
Bharti began her fast at Chandighat area demanding
review of hydropower projects especially in eco-sensitive
Himalayan region, enactment of a law in Parliament declaring
Ganga as national heritage as well as withdrawal of proposal
of shifting of ancient Dhari Devi temple at Srinagar Garhwal
due to construction of 330 Mw Alaknanda project.
She, however, decided to take juice and other liquid
diets on May 18 on the assurance of Uttarakhand Chief Minister
Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank that Dhari Devi temple would not be
Later, she announced that with the acceptance of her
demand by Nishank, her first leg of agitation had been
completed and she would gherao Parliament during the coming
monsoon session to press for her other demands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!