Uttarakhand: 18 Cong MLAs skip oath ceremony
Dehradun: Even though Union Minister Harish Rawat has claimed that he will ‘not be a cause of crisis’, Congress’ Uttarakhand problem appears far from over as 18 party MLAs did not turn up for the customary oath taking ceremony in the state Assembly, reports said on Thursday.
The party had ignored Rawat’s claim and chosen Vijay Bahuguna as the Chief Minister, which triggered a mini rebellion against the government by at least 17 MPs who owe allegiance to Rawat.
The Congress had won 32 seats – short of majority in the 70 member house - in the just concluded assembly elections. It staked claim to form the government with support from the Bahujan Samaj Party and some independents.
Today’s developments in Dehradun is surprising as sources close to the Rawat camp had claimed, yesterday, that a compromise formula has been worked out under which he could be elevated as a Cabinet Minister and his close confidante Harak Singh Rawat may be made Deputy Chief Minister.
Some key portfolios can also be given to MLAs supporting Rawat, the sources said.
Yesterday, Rawat had said, "I will not become the cause for any crisis either in Dehradun or in Delhi. My supporters wanted me to be the Chief Minister but it is not necessary that all wishes are always fulfilled."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video