Uttarakhand: 23 more bodies cremated in Kedarghati
Dehradun: Mass cremation of bodies in Kedarghati held up for the past few days on Thursday started with 23 more consigned to flames, taking the number of bodies disposed of so far to 59 even as a team of experts worked on removal of debris and extricating bodies from under them at the Himalayan shrine.
As many as 23 more bodies were cremated at Gaurikund and Junglechatti on Wednesday night, said DIG Amit Sinha under whose supervision the exercise is being undertaken.
This takes the total number of bodies disposed of in Kedarghati to 59, he said.
Earlier, 36 bodies had been cremated, the DIG said, adding the process is slow due to bad weather and the precautions being taken not to risk the lives of personnel engaged in the exercise.
It is still raining intermittently in the area, he said.
A team of seven mountaineers is engaged in a combing operation in areas adjoining the shrine in search of bodies while over 50 members of a team of experts and volunteers is stationed in Kedarnath to clean the temple premises of tonnes of debris under which more bodies may be lying, the official said.
Around 50 other members of the team are searching for bodies in Gaurikund and Rambara areas.
Despite continuing bad weather in affected areas amid a MeT department prediction of heavy rains in the next 48 hours at places, efforts were on to airdrop relief material in affected villages totally cut off after the calamity in the worst-hit Rudraprayag, Chamoli and Uttarkashi districts.
Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna has alerted the District Magistrates in Kumaon and Garhwal regions to be prepared to deal with any emergency in case of heavy rains and suspend all pilgrimage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check Jharkhand JAC 12th Intermediate Arts Results 2015 on jac.nic.in
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today