Uttarakhand: 9 dead as fresh cloudburst strikes; toll rises to 47
Dehradun: A fresh series of cloudbursts in three days in Uttarakhand`s Rudraprayag district on Sunday left nine persons dead and five injured as several houses collapsed, taking the death toll to 47.
Cloudbursts struck four villages including Kirorimalla, Timli Badma, Dugur Shemla and Simbal this morning, in which nine persons died and five others were injured, Executive Director of Disaster Management and Mitigation Department (DMMD) Piyush Rautela said.
With these, toll in Rudraprayag district since Friday has risen to 47. 23 persons are still missing, Rautela said.
As calamity struck the region, rescue operations were launched on a war footing, he said.
A house was flattened in the cloudburst at Kirorimalla village in Jalokhi area killing five persons, including three women, he said.
A temple was washed away in the rains triggered by a cloudburst in Timli Badma village of Jalokhi. The priest and his wife were killed in the tragedy, the DMMD official said.
Two persons were killed in the landslide triggered by cloudbursts in two villages - Dugur Shemla and Simbal - in Ukhimath area of Rudraprayag.
Meanwhile, the toll due to the heavy rainfall triggered by a serious of cloudbursts in Ukhimath area on September 14 rose to 38.
Rautela said that 38 bodies have been recovered in the relief operations with the help of the Army and ITBP personnel.
Overall, 131 families have been affected by the natural calamity, he added.
A team of National Disaster Response Force has already reached the affected areas.
Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna visited the affected areas yesterday and assured the people of all possible help.
About 100 persons have been killed in Uttarakhand due to the heavy rainfall and flash-floods during this monsoon season, he said.
A similar tragedy in Uttarkashi district last month had claimed 28 lives and left six missing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- British PM Theresa May heads to N. Ireland for Brexit talks
- Rio Olympics: WADA 'disappointed' as IOC fails to ban Russia for mega event
- Al Qaeda chief urges kidnappings of Westerners for prisoner swaps - SITE
- Japan logs first half-year trade surplus since Fukushima
- Attacks on France, Germany their own fault: Donald Trump