Uttarakhand Assembly fails to conduct even half of required sittings
Dehra Dun: The Uttarakhand Assembly has
failed to conduct even 30 sittings a year against the required
60 sittings as stated in the house`s rule book, a report said.
Since formation of the state in 2000, the Vidhan Sabha
has never even crossed the halfway mark of the required number
of yearly sittings, according to the recent report on
Assembly`s proceedings. The maximum was 23 sittings in 2003.
The data revealed so far only 169 sittings have been
conducted against the obligation of having at least 600
sittings in 10 years. These proceedings lasted for 751 hours
and 3 minutes in combined.
Over 116 hours were lost due to adjournments.
Worst performing Chief Minister was N D Tiwari who
remained present for only 29 days out of 83 sittings conducted
during his reign (2002-2007).
Uttarakhand parliamentary affairs minister Prakash
Pant said blamed opposition for the poor record and said they
think disrupting the house proceedings repeatedly will give
"Most of the state assemblies in the country are
having very less number of sittings these days. There should
be big political debate on the national level to settle the
issue," Pant, who was the first speaker in the Uttarakhand
While, Opposition Congress accused the BJP government
of not being sincere on the smooth conduct of the House`s
proceedings. "The government tries to shy away from all those
issues which are of the interest of the common people," a
party spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says