Uttarakhand becomes first state to have mining vigilance force
Dehradun: Uttarakhand on Wednesday constituted a Special Mining Vigilance Force to tackle illegal mining in ecologically sensitive zones along the Ganga and its tributaries, making it the first state to have such a force.
DIG Sanjay Gunjyal will head of the force which will have its headquarters here, Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna told reporters, terming it as a move which will effectively control illegal mining in the state.
With this, Uttarakhand becomes the first state to have an adequately staffed and equipped separate force to rein in illegal mining, he said.
Illegal mining is prevalent at about 10 different places in the state including Kotdwar, Haldwani, Vikasnagar and Haridwar.
The state government has also decided to create an eco task force in Rudraprayag and Bageshwar districts which will generate employment opportunities for nearly 1,500 people, Bahuguna said.
50 per cent of the posts in the eco task force will be reserved for women, he said.
He also informed that 42 villages of Govind Pashuvihar in Uttarkashi district have been delinked from reserved forest area which will open up fresh avenues of development in these hamlets.
A final notification identifying an area spread over 481.05 sq km as reserved forest has been issued and 42 villages which were earlier part of it have been kept out of its ambit for the sake of development.
On the current status of rehabilitation efforts in the rain-ravaged state, Bahuguna said death certificates for people who went missing in the mid-June calamity in Uttarakhand will be made available to authorities of the states concerned within a week so that their kin could be compensated financially.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued