Uttarakhand becomes first state to have mining vigilance force
Dehradun: Uttarakhand on Wednesday constituted a Special Mining Vigilance Force to tackle illegal mining in ecologically sensitive zones along the Ganga and its tributaries, making it the first state to have such a force.
DIG Sanjay Gunjyal will head of the force which will have its headquarters here, Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna told reporters, terming it as a move which will effectively control illegal mining in the state.
With this, Uttarakhand becomes the first state to have an adequately staffed and equipped separate force to rein in illegal mining, he said.
Illegal mining is prevalent at about 10 different places in the state including Kotdwar, Haldwani, Vikasnagar and Haridwar.
The state government has also decided to create an eco task force in Rudraprayag and Bageshwar districts which will generate employment opportunities for nearly 1,500 people, Bahuguna said.
50 per cent of the posts in the eco task force will be reserved for women, he said.
He also informed that 42 villages of Govind Pashuvihar in Uttarkashi district have been delinked from reserved forest area which will open up fresh avenues of development in these hamlets.
A final notification identifying an area spread over 481.05 sq km as reserved forest has been issued and 42 villages which were earlier part of it have been kept out of its ambit for the sake of development.
On the current status of rehabilitation efforts in the rain-ravaged state, Bahuguna said death certificates for people who went missing in the mid-June calamity in Uttarakhand will be made available to authorities of the states concerned within a week so that their kin could be compensated financially.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges - Part II
- DNA: How BSF soldiers guard the border in scorching summer heat
- DNA: Why is Congress taking support of affidavits to ensure alliance of MLA's?
- DNA: Analysis of how cancer is increasing death toll in India
- Arms training: Bajrang Dal's Ayodhya chief Mahesh Mishra arrested over charges of inciting religious hatred
- Left, Congress call for people's movement against Trinamool 'terror'
- SP main rival in UP polls, not decided on CM face: Amit Shah
- Pope prays to 'convert hearts' of Islamic State jihadists
- Cristiano Ronaldo wants extended Real Madrid stay