Uttarakhand braces for heavy rains
Zee Media Bureau
Dehradun: In what might sound a major problem for Uttarakhand administration and the locals, the Meteorological department has predicted heavy rains for the next three days starting Friday night in the flood-hit state.
Referring to the threat, Uttarakhand Chief Secretary Subhash Kumar said, "Meteorological department has predicted that in the coming 72 hours, there is possibility of heavy rains (70-90 mm) at some places of Chamoli and Kumaon region, especially Pithoragarh, Champawat, Nainital and Udhamsingh Nagar districts."
Medium rain fall (20-40 mm) is predicted at several places over Uttarakhand. District Magistrates and Senior Superintendents of Police are alerted to keep people at safe places and ensure no more loss of property and lives.
The work to provide succour to people affected from the colossal tragedy in Uttarakhand which is on at war footing, fight be hampered as fresh threat of heavy rains loomed large over the state.
The state government claimed there is no shortage of food in any affected area. Wheat stock of 10043.3 metric tonnes, rice stock of 12176.8 MT, sugar of 837.3 MT is available in the rain hit areas, an official release said.
In addition to this, 344.2 kilo litres of kerosene and 48943 LPG cylinders are available at the district level. Apart from this, more than 309 trucks carrying relief material have been dispatched to affected districts.
As much as 9.4 lakh litres of diesel and 4.76 lakh litres of petrol have been made available to the affected areas.
Rs 103 crore have been released by the state government for relief operations, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!