Uttarakhand Cabinet clears Lokayukta Bill
Dehradun: The Uttarakhand Cabinet on Saturday cleared a strong Lokayukta bringing in its net the post of
Chief Minister, all ministers, MLAs and government servants,
including IAS officers, with a provision of life imprisonment
or more severe punishment.
While the lower judiciary will be covered under the
Lokayukta, judges of the Uttarakhand High Court will not be
under the purview of the Lokayukta.
At a meeting of the Cabinet chaired by Chief Minister B C
Khanduri, it was decided to pass the Uttarakhand Lokayukta
Bill, 2011, in the Assembly session on October 31 and November
1, official sources said here on Saturday.
Former chief ministers, former ministers and retired
officers will also be within the purview of the Lokayukta.
The Lokayukta would consist of a chairperson and five
members with a scope to increase the number to seven as per
the need and requirement.
After completion of investigations, the chargesheet will
be filed by the Lokayukta in a special court established under
the Prevention of Corruption Act for a speedy trial, says the
The period of investigation, as far as possible, should
not extend beyond twelve months, the Bill says.
After the completion of investigation in any case, the
Lokayukta shall have the power to recommend punishment of
dismissal, removal or demotion against government servants
after giving them full opportunity of being heard.
The recommendation shall be binding on the appointing or
disciplinary authority of the government.
For any act of corruption, the punishment shall not be
less than six months of rigorous imprisonment and may extend
upto imprisonment of ten years.
In the rarest of rare case, the punishment may extended upto life imprisonment.
The special court may take into consideration the higher
rank of an accused person to impose a more severe punishment
than life imprisonment, it said.
The bill envisages that the members of Lokayukta should
have legal background and should be persons of impeccable
integrity and outstanding ability and the chairperson an
eminent public life with extraordinary ability.
The term of the chairperson of the Lokayukta would be of
five years or upto the age of 70 years whichever is earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH