Uttarakhand: Cloudburst toll climbs to 42
Dehradun: The toll in the cloudburst that struck Rudraprayag in Uttarakhand rose to 42 on Monday with the recovery of four more bodies from the debris of flattened houses in the worst-hit Ukhimath area of the district.
Four more bodies have been recovered since last night and 20 are still missing, Disaster Management and Mitigation Centre officials here said.
Search and rescue operations by ITBP and Army personnel are on, they said.
Thirty eight bodies had been pulled out during rescue operations yesterday.
The cloudburst in the wee hours on Friday wreaked havoc in Chunni, Mangoli, Kimana, Sansari, Giriya, Barhmankholi, Premnagar and Juatok in Ukhimath area of Rudraprayag, killing most of the victims in their sleep.
Fifteen persons injured in the calamity are being treated at hospitals in Ukhimath and Srinagar, DMMC officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak