Uttarakhand CM announces cash award for woman who killed leopard
Dehradun: Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat on Tuesday announced a cash award of Rs 1 lakh for a woman who fought off and killed a leopard after it attacked her in Rudraprayag district.
Addressing reporters at a press conference here, Rawat said Kamla Negi's name will be recommended for the national bravery award.
56-year-old Negi was attacked from behind by the leopard on Sunday when she was giving water to the crops in her field in Sem Koti village in Jakholi area of Rudraprayag district, forest officials had said.
She did not get scared and attacked the leopard using sickle and spade and killed the animal before the other villagers could reach out to help her. She was grievously injured in the attack.
She is undergoing treatment at Srinagar Base Hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears