Uttarakhand CM announces cash award for woman who killed leopard
Dehradun: Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat on Tuesday announced a cash award of Rs 1 lakh for a woman who fought off and killed a leopard after it attacked her in Rudraprayag district.
Addressing reporters at a press conference here, Rawat said Kamla Negi's name will be recommended for the national bravery award.
56-year-old Negi was attacked from behind by the leopard on Sunday when she was giving water to the crops in her field in Sem Koti village in Jakholi area of Rudraprayag district, forest officials had said.
She did not get scared and attacked the leopard using sickle and spade and killed the animal before the other villagers could reach out to help her. She was grievously injured in the attack.
She is undergoing treatment at Srinagar Base Hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown