Uttarakhand CM announces cash award for woman who killed leopard
Dehradun: Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat on Tuesday announced a cash award of Rs 1 lakh for a woman who fought off and killed a leopard after it attacked her in Rudraprayag district.
Addressing reporters at a press conference here, Rawat said Kamla Negi's name will be recommended for the national bravery award.
56-year-old Negi was attacked from behind by the leopard on Sunday when she was giving water to the crops in her field in Sem Koti village in Jakholi area of Rudraprayag district, forest officials had said.
She did not get scared and attacked the leopard using sickle and spade and killed the animal before the other villagers could reach out to help her. She was grievously injured in the attack.
She is undergoing treatment at Srinagar Base Hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price