Uttarakhand CM opposes NCTC
Dehradun: Accusing the Centre of
"infringing" on federal rights of the states, Uttarakhand
Chief Minister BC Khanduri on Sunday opposed the proposed
National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC).
"Be it NCTC or any other issue, it is very sad that some
of the important decisions are being taken by the Centre
unilaterally. The states must be taken into confidence on all
important decisions," he said.
Expressing his anguish over Centre for "not sharing"
vital information related to NCTC, Khanduri alleged the states
were "kept in dark" over the new anti-terror body, scheduled
to be operational from March 1.
His comments came after various states, including West
Bengal, Tamil Nadu, Bihar, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Himachal
Pradesh and Odisha, took up the cudgels against the proposed
Citing the recent example where the army was assured help
by the state in carrying out its new projects, Khanduri said
the security has to be shared both by the Centre and the
"When you decide on the security of the country, you
cannot ignore the views of states," he said.
Significantly, at a meeting with top army officials this
week, state chief secretary Subhash Kumar had assured all help
and early clearances for 23,216 acres of land needed for
various projects that include 13 new helipads for maintaining
vigil in the strategically-important state which shares vast
border with China and Nepal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says