Uttarakhand CM sets June 15 deadline for Nanda Devi Raj Jaat yatra
Dehradun: Pacing up preparations for the Nanda Devi Raj Jaat yatra also called The Himalayan Kumbh, Chief Minister Harish Rawat has set a deadline of June 15 for the agencies concerned to wind up all preparations related to the high-altitude pilgrimage held every twelve years through the picturesque hills of Uttarakhand.
At a high-level meeting to review preparations for the yatra, the Chief Minister said that all roads on the pilgrimage route should be repaired by June 15 to ensure a safe and trouble-free journey to devotees, an official release said here today.
If work on repair and reconstruction of roads is being delayed by the National Highways Authority of India or the Border Roads Organisation, the PWD can take up the task and accomplish it by the mid-June deadline, Rawat said, adding smooth and safe conduct of the pilgrimage is the state goverenment`s priority.
An eleven-member committee headed by Deputy Speaker of the state Assembly Anusuya Prasad Maikhuri will soon be constituted to monitor preparations for the yatra, he said.
It is for the first time that the yatra is being conducted after the creation of Uttarakhand.
Originally scheduled to be held in 2012, it was deferred for a year due to Malemas (inauspicious phase) and then postponed again last year in the wake of the June calamity.
Conducted through the difficult hilly terrain of Chamoli, Pithoragarh and Almora districts the pilgrimage which proceeds in the form of a procession from Nauti village symbolises Lord Shiva`s consort Nanda Devi`s departure from her ancestral home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song