Uttarakhand CM Vijay Bahuguna wins trust vote
Dehra Dun: The Vijay Bahuguna government on Thursday won a trust vote in the Uttarakhand Assembly amid a walkout by the opposition BJP members.
Thirtynine members voted in favour of the trust motion tabled by Bahuguna, Speaker Govind Singh Kunjwal informed the House.
31 members of the main opposition BJP staged a noisy walk-out demanding that secret ballot system should have been used for voting on the motion.
"This is totally unconstitutional that the government did not accept the demand of secret ballot," said Ajay Bhatt, a senior BJP MLA.
All the 31 Congress members besides the 3-member BSP and three independents as well as lone member from the Uttarakhand Kranti Dal voted in favour of the trust motion.
The nominated Anglo-Indian member RV Gardner is among the MLAs who voted in favour of the confidence vote.
Earlier, as soon as the House assembled for the day, Bahuguna tabled the one-line motion, saying he wanted to prove his majority on the floor of the House in view of the opposition demand.
"The members of the opposition have been stating for the past two days that my government does not have majority in the House. This is wrong as we have already proved our majority during the election of the Speaker.
"Still, in line of the healthy tradition of the democracy, I want to table a trust motion on the floor of the House," Bahuguna said.
The Chief Minister also urged the Speaker to order a division of votes.
However, the opposition members were on their feet demanding that secret ballot system be used for voting on the motion. Later, they walked into the well of the House to press for their demand and staged a noisy walk-out.
A physical count of the members voting in favour of the motion was also undertaken by the Speaker.
The opposition BJP members had yesterday disrupted the House proceedings demanding that Bahuguna government should seek trust vote before start of the normal proceedings in the Assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!