Uttarakhand Congress MLA Harish Dhami sent to jail
Pithoragarh: Ruling Congress MLA in Uttarakhand Harish Dhami on Saturday surrendered before a local court which rejected his bail plea and sent him to jail.
Dhami, an accused in a clash that took place between two groups in 2007, surrendered before the first class judicial magistrate at Didihat today, two days before the time given to him by the Nainital High Court.
The court today rejected the Dhami`s bail plea on the ground of disobedience of court. He was wanted by the court in a case of non-bailable warrant (NBW) issued against him.
"The bail plea has been rejected on the ground of deliberately disobeying of court orders, as the court had issued summons several times to the culprit to appear before it before issuing NBW on November 8 and attachment of property orders on March 23," said the court.
The Congress MLA had approached High Court against the NBW issued by Didihat court in the criminal case lodged against him in 2007 in Munsiyari.
The legislator had claimed that he did not receive court summons.
On his plea, Nainital High Court had given him 20 days time to surrender before the same court and the time was to end on Monday.
As soon as the MLA was sent to judicial custody, his supporters started shouting slogans against the administration and the Government.
"Police is alert to tackle any situation," said Vijay Karki," Superintendent of Police Pithoragarh.
The counsel for Dhami said they will move the district judge Pithoragarh for bail probably by Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL
- Drunk businessman molests air hostesses on Jet Airways Mumbai-Nagpur flight