Uttarakhand could be hit by diseases
Dehradun: Uttarakhand now faces a new threat: possible outbreak of diseases as the waters from the flash floods recede.
A few diarrhoea cases have already been reported from Haridwar (Alwalpur), Uttarkashi (Udvi) and Rudraprayag (Chandrapuri), an official of the health ministry said.
But no food or air borne has been reported.
Director General of Health Services (DGHS) Jagdish Prasad told IANS: "A total of seven teams, including four from the central health ministry and three from National Institute of Mental Health (NIMHANS), Bangalore, have reached Uttarakhand to assess the threat of epidemics and other health issues."
The teams from NIMHANS will provide psycho-social support to the victims.
Apart from this, teams of health experts from the state government have also fanned out across Uttarakhand.
Barsha Chakrabarty of NGO ActionAid says though as of now only cases of diarrhoea have been received due to water contamination, efforts should be made to contain any outbreak as and when it happens.
"There is an immediate need for medicines and clean drinking water (in the affected places)," Chakrabarty said.
The National Rural Health Mission is conducting health surveillance in all districts.
A specialist from national vector borne disease control programme has been placed with the state government for providing assistance on matters pertaining to vector borne diseases.
The state government teams include specialists from cardiology, psychiatry and internal medicine.
The Uttarakhand government has requested the central government to provide 60 drug and non-drug items. Three truckloads of these have already been delivered.
A total of 10,00,000 chlorine tablets are being procured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday