Uttarakhand: Death toll rises to 24 after heavy rains
Dehradun: Seven persons including a woman were killed here when three houses were buried in a landslide following heavy showers in the wee hours of the day, taking the toll to 24 in rain-related incidents in two days in Uttarakhand.
The incident occurred at around 2 am in Kathbangla area in the city. Rains triggered a landslide in the hills and the rubble fell on the three houses occupied by different families, a police official said.
Seven bodies including that of a woman have been pulled out of the debris of the houses, Rajpur police station SHO Rajesh Sah said, adding that the victims were sleeping when the mishap occurred.
A woman with critical injuries has also been rescued from the spot and admitted to the Doon hospital, he said.
There is no possibility of any more bodies trapped in the rubble of the houses, he said.
17 persons were killed in separate rain related incidents in Pauri, Dehradun and Pithoragarh district of the state yesterday.
Though it rained heavily in Dehradun last night, the city awoke to a bright sunny morning today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence – Part II
- I am a Goddess for the weaker section which is making people angry: Mayawati
- Sacked BJP leader Dayashankar to be arrested soon for controversial remark on Mayawati
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- What's cooking? Farah Khan's 'do anmol ratan' Ranveer Singh, Anil Kapoor spill madness at shoot
- EXCLUSIVE: This is what Kashmiri children think about India – Must watch video
- US-backed forces give IS '48 hours' to leave Syria's Manbij
- RBI to cut rates by 0.25% on Aug 9 if rains damp pulse price
- Kotak Mahindra Bank to raise Rs 5,000 cr via bonds