Uttarakhand: Death toll rises to 24 after heavy rains
Dehradun: Seven persons including a woman were killed here when three houses were buried in a landslide following heavy showers in the wee hours of the day, taking the toll to 24 in rain-related incidents in two days in Uttarakhand.
The incident occurred at around 2 am in Kathbangla area in the city. Rains triggered a landslide in the hills and the rubble fell on the three houses occupied by different families, a police official said.
Seven bodies including that of a woman have been pulled out of the debris of the houses, Rajpur police station SHO Rajesh Sah said, adding that the victims were sleeping when the mishap occurred.
A woman with critical injuries has also been rescued from the spot and admitted to the Doon hospital, he said.
There is no possibility of any more bodies trapped in the rubble of the houses, he said.
17 persons were killed in separate rain related incidents in Pauri, Dehradun and Pithoragarh district of the state yesterday.
Though it rained heavily in Dehradun last night, the city awoke to a bright sunny morning today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees