Uttarakhand faces major rain threat, 300 still stranded
Zee Media Bureau
Dehradun: Even as threat of heavy rains pose a major challenge to the rescue operations in flood-ravaged Uttarakhand, reports say that at least 300 people are still trapped in Dharma and Vyas valley regions.
According to the Meteorological department, there is possibility of heavy rains at some places of Chamoli and Kumaon region. Referring to the threat, Uttarakhand Chief Secretary Subhash Kumar said that heavy rains were predicted primarily in Pithoragarh, Champawat, Nainital and Udhamsingh Nagar districts.
Besides, medium-intensity rains have also been predicted at several places in the state.
District Magistrates and Senior Superintendents of Police were alerted to keep people at safe places and ensure no more loss of property and lives.
The state government claimed there is no shortage of food in any affected area. Wheat stock of 10043.3 metric tonnes, rice stock of 12176.8 MT, sugar of 837.3 MT is available in the rain hit areas, an official release said.
In addition to this, 344.2 kilo litres of kerosene and 48943 LPG cylinders are available at the district level. Apart from this, more than 309 trucks carrying relief material have been dispatched to affected districts.
As much as 9.4 lakh litres of diesel and 4.76 lakh litres of petrol have been made available to the affected areas.
Rs 103 crore have been released by the state government for relief operations, it said.
District Magistrates have been given a free hand to spend the amount on relief operations.
However, according to the reports reaching here, people in villages are not getting the relief materials.
With a large number of routes, including Srinagar-Rudraprayag road closed, the administration is depending exclusively on helicopters for distribution of relief material.
The material being dropped by the chopper was also not reaching the needy as the stuff was airdropped at places rendered inaccessible by breached roads.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video