Uttarakhand: Fasting seer dies in hospital
Dehra Dun: Seer of Haridwar-based Matri
Sadan Ashram, Swami Nigamanand, who was on fast for nearly
four months demanding immediate stopping of quarrying in Ganga
and shifting of Himalaya stone crusher from Kumbh mela area,
on Monday died in a hospital near here.
District Magistrate of Haridwar R Meenakshisundaram said
Swami Nigamanand (36) died at the Himalayan Institute of
Medical Sciences at Jolly Grant this afternoon.
Nigamanand had begun his fast on February 19 and was in
coma since May 2.
A postmortem of Swami Nigamanand would be conducted in
view of the complaints of poisoning to him by his fellow
sadhus of the ashram, the DM added.
The founder head of Matri Sadan Ashram Swami Shivanand had
lodged a complaint against Chief Medical Superintendent (CMS)
of Haridwar district hospital Dr PK Bhatnagar and owner of
Himalaya Stone Crusher Gyanesh Kumar in Kotwali police station
of Haridwar on May 11 alleging Swami Nigamanand was poisoned
on April 30 during treatment, following which he went into
coma on May 2.
Nigamanand was admitted to Haridwar district hospital. On
April 30, he was given an injection by a nurse after which he
went into coma on May 2, Swami Shivanand alleged.
Later, Nigamanad was shifted to the hospital in Jolly
Swami Shivanand alleged Nigamanand was given "Organo
phosphat" through injection which led to deterioration in his
Meanwhile, the Congress MLA from Tehri Kishore Upadhyay
has accused Uttarakhand government of being responsible for
the death of Nigamanand.
Upadhyay charged the death of Nigamanand has "exposed"
the double standards of BJP government in Uttarakhand. "While
the Chief Minister did everything to break the fast of Ramdev,
he did not go to see even once another sadhu who was also
admitted in the same hospital for fighting corruption," he
Upadhyay said he and Union Minister of State for
Agriculture Harish Rawat had also written letters to chief
minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank requesting him to order an
inquiry into the allegations of poisoning and send Nigamand to
All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) for better
treatment. "But nothing was done by the state government in
this regard," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- African nationals targetted: Delhi cops arrest five persons, detain four others
- Will not bow to labour reform protestors: French PM Manuel Valls
- Former Punjab CM Beant Singh's grandson shoots himself, dies
- Photo alert! First look of Dwayne Johnson from 'Fast & Furious 8'!
- Celebs slam AIB's Tanmay Bhat for mocking Sachin Tendulkar, Lata Mangeshkar! – Details inside