Uttarakhand flood: BJP postpones all-India `jail bharo` agitation
New Delhi: In view of the disaster in Uttarakhand that left a trail of death and devastation in the hill state, BJP has again postponed its proposed nationwide `Jail Bharo Andolan`.
The party had earlier postponed its `Jail Bharo` agitation against UPA`s "corrupt practices", which was proposed to be undertaken between May 27-June 2, to June 17- June 30 in the wake of Naxalite attack in Chhattisgarh in which many Congressmen were killed.
BJP president Rajnath Singh said he has directed partymen across the country to concentrate on relief of the flood victims in Uttarakhand instead of focusing on the agitation, which was to take place between June 17 and June 30.
Singh, who visited the flood-affected areas yesterday, again appealed to Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde to rethink on the government`s decision of not declaring the calamity in the state as a national tragedy.
Considering the loss to life and property caused by the floods, he said the BJP considered it a national disaster and has thus asked all its units across the country to contribute for flood relief and rehabilitation.
He has directed all partymen to ensure that the relief material collected from across the country reaches the affected persons in the disaster-struck state.
Singh said the party will also set up a disaster relief fund for all contributions coming in from people and appealed to people to donate to it or directly to the Uttarakhand government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh