Uttarakhand flood: BJP postpones all-India `jail bharo` agitation
New Delhi: In view of the disaster in Uttarakhand that left a trail of death and devastation in the hill state, BJP has again postponed its proposed nationwide `Jail Bharo Andolan`.
The party had earlier postponed its `Jail Bharo` agitation against UPA`s "corrupt practices", which was proposed to be undertaken between May 27-June 2, to June 17- June 30 in the wake of Naxalite attack in Chhattisgarh in which many Congressmen were killed.
BJP president Rajnath Singh said he has directed partymen across the country to concentrate on relief of the flood victims in Uttarakhand instead of focusing on the agitation, which was to take place between June 17 and June 30.
Singh, who visited the flood-affected areas yesterday, again appealed to Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde to rethink on the government`s decision of not declaring the calamity in the state as a national tragedy.
Considering the loss to life and property caused by the floods, he said the BJP considered it a national disaster and has thus asked all its units across the country to contribute for flood relief and rehabilitation.
He has directed all partymen to ensure that the relief material collected from across the country reaches the affected persons in the disaster-struck state.
Singh said the party will also set up a disaster relief fund for all contributions coming in from people and appealed to people to donate to it or directly to the Uttarakhand government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra