Uttarakhand flood: Four declared dead found alive
Dehra Dun: Four labourers who were declared dead in the recent flash floods in Uttarakashi district have been reported alive, a top official said on Monday.
"We had declared four labourers of Assi Ganga Hydel project along with 19 workers as dead after the calamity. And now, four persons have been reported alive," said R Rajesh Kumar, District Magistrate of Uttarkashi.
Kumar said all the four had been washed away by the Assi Ganga river, a tributary of the Bhagirathi. The four were later found alive on the banks of Bhagirathi river by locals near Uttarkashi town, he said.
Kumar clarified that 19 other workers who were reported dead would remain in the list of dead persons.
However, one more death has been reported due to rains in the district and with this the death toll in the Uttarkashi cloudburst stands at 28, Kumar said, adding that six people are still missing.
Meanwhile, ITBP along with police personnel today continued to search for the missing persons after incessant rains left 31 dead and scores of others homeless in Uttarakhand.
The government has launched relief and rescue operations and has sent food packets to the affected people. Nearly 250 families have already been taken to safer areas in the different areas of Uttarkashi and Chamoli districts.
Efforts are on to reopen blocked highways leading to Chardham yatra as scores of pilgrims are still stranded at various places in Uttarkashi, Rudraprayag and Chamoli districts.
Last year, the government had suspended the Chardham Yatra to all the four shrines -- Badrinath, Kedarnath, Gangotri and Yamunotri -- following heavy landslides and torrential rains for nearly a week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video