Uttarakhand flood: Four declared dead found alive
Dehra Dun: Four labourers who were declared dead in the recent flash floods in Uttarakashi district have been reported alive, a top official said on Monday.
"We had declared four labourers of Assi Ganga Hydel project along with 19 workers as dead after the calamity. And now, four persons have been reported alive," said R Rajesh Kumar, District Magistrate of Uttarkashi.
Kumar said all the four had been washed away by the Assi Ganga river, a tributary of the Bhagirathi. The four were later found alive on the banks of Bhagirathi river by locals near Uttarkashi town, he said.
Kumar clarified that 19 other workers who were reported dead would remain in the list of dead persons.
However, one more death has been reported due to rains in the district and with this the death toll in the Uttarkashi cloudburst stands at 28, Kumar said, adding that six people are still missing.
Meanwhile, ITBP along with police personnel today continued to search for the missing persons after incessant rains left 31 dead and scores of others homeless in Uttarakhand.
The government has launched relief and rescue operations and has sent food packets to the affected people. Nearly 250 families have already been taken to safer areas in the different areas of Uttarkashi and Chamoli districts.
Efforts are on to reopen blocked highways leading to Chardham yatra as scores of pilgrims are still stranded at various places in Uttarkashi, Rudraprayag and Chamoli districts.
Last year, the government had suspended the Chardham Yatra to all the four shrines -- Badrinath, Kedarnath, Gangotri and Yamunotri -- following heavy landslides and torrential rains for nearly a week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane early