Uttarakhand floods: A disaster that was waiting to happen
Zee Media Bureau
Dehradun: The pictures of crumbling buildings on the banks of rivers in Uttarakhand and the stories of those on the lookout for their kith and kin lost in flood-hit areas are bone-chilling.
Why are the rivers flowing across the famed pilgrimage sites so furious that they have submerged whole towns, washing away shops, homes, hotels and lodges?
Some say that rivers have taken their revenge.
The injustice the man did to these rivers in the name of development have left the beautiful water bodies seething with anger.
The mushrooming of buildings and houses along the banks of the river, construction of dams, breaching of regulations have always disturbed environmentalists. It seems Nature wanted to restore the balance that was disturbed by rivers having to change their course and due to blocking of their natural flow in the name of progress.
The huge devastation caused by these rivers is a lesson for the governments, under whose nose the basis of such disasters was laid. Nature had already sent warning signals. In August 2012, buildings were washed away by Uttarkashi flash floods. Later, a cloudburst in Rudraprayag had claimed 69 lives.
Remember how the Ganga warriors had earlier claimed that the Central government was not serious about keeping its assurance for stopping the work on hydro electric projects on Alaknanda and Mandakini, the two main tributaries of the Ganga. These meet at Rudraprayag, which is the epicentre of the devastation.
The hydel projects have been undertaken without assessing their impact on environment, hence the huge devastation.
Today, thousands are said to be missing in Uttarakhand after unprecedented rains and cloudburst led to landslides and flash floods killing more than 100 people and leaving 62,000 stranded.
Such was the magnitude of the disaster that a worried Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna said: "It is a calamity that has numbed me by its sheer magnitude."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical