Uttarakhand floods: AI to operate more Dehradun-Delhi flights
New Delhi: Air India, which is providing concessional fares to people hit by the devastating floods in Uttarakhand, has so far carried over 300 passengers and is mounting additional flights between Dehradun and Delhi.
While Air India employees are contributing a day`s salary to the Prime Minister`s Relief Fund, its pilots have offered to forego their allowances to operate to Dehradun and even bear the entire fuel costs for these flights, airline CMD Rohit Nandan said.
"After bringing the passengers from Dehradun to Delhi, we are connecting them through our pan-India network so that they can reach home safely. We are also expanding our capacity on this sector," he said. Air India operates its 70-seater Canadair Regional Jet-700 on the Delhi-Dehradun sector.
Over 300 passengers, including 200 from Tamil Nadu, have been flown so far.
All relief materials, sent by known NGOs and registered organisations, are being flown free of cost into Delhi. "All these organisations have been asked to coordinate with the Uttarakhand government for carrying these materials to the affected areas from here."
Besides, a team of 100 volunteers, all Air India staffers, are ready to go to the flood-hit areas to help the relief operations, Nandan said, adding that they are awaiting instructions from the state government on where to reach.
Coming to the aid of the stranded tourists and pilgrims, Air India is already providing 50 per cent concession on base fares for people travelling out of Dehradun to anywhere in the country.
"Even those going to Dehradun from Delhi are being offered this concession if they carried a certificate from the Resident Commissioner (of the state) that they or their families have been affected," he said.
Asked about passengers not having any money to pay for their tickets, the CMD said, "We are booking on a credit basis and the state governments are undertaking the costs...We are not making any money out of these operations. If we have to bear losses, we will bear them."
Commenting on the response of Air India staffers, Nandan said he was delighted to see the response. "The entire staff has risen to the occasion, to the national cause, just as they faced similar challenging tasks in the operations in Egypt, Kuwait, the Gulf War or the tsunami-hit Japan."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe