Uttarakhand floods: Congress rejects BJP`s charge
New Delhi: Congress on Thursday rejected BJP`s charge that the flash flood in Uttarakhand is a result of "mis- governance" and "abuse and misuse of the system" and pointed out that the state was being ruled by the opposition party before Congress came back to power there.
Amid growing demands to declare floods and landslide disaster in Uttarakand a national calamity, Congress said that it is under serious consideration of the government.
"Government is seriously considering it. Government has to take a decision," party spokesperson PC Chacko said when pointed out that BJP and some other parties are in favour of declaring it a national calamity.
He said the party has "not made any recommendation" as these things are decided by the government.
BJP spokesperson Meenakshi Lekhi had yesterday said the "abuse and misuse of the system is basically causing damage to the governance structure of the country" and claimed that what has happened in Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh and Delhi also is a result of "mis- governance".
She had also said there was no early warning system and alleged the guidelines of the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) have been violated.
Congress spokesperson PC Chacko, however, said "natural calamity of this magnitude are beyond prediction" and that steps that can be taken based on the warnings were taken.
"We came to power in Uttarakhand recently. How were we accountable? The opposition party was in rule before us. What did they do? We do not politicise the matter as we understand that in every state there are some developmental aspirations.
"Probably there were some instances when some advices would have been ignored. There actually needs to be a balance," Chacko said amid criticism from certain quarters that the Congress government in Uttarakhand did not take into account the issue of ecological balance.
In a release, AICC Communication Department in-charge Ajay Maken said party chief Sonia Gandhi will be visiting relief camps and other affected areas very soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo