Uttarakhand floods:Tihar inmates donate Rs 10 lakh
New Delhi: A section of prisoners along with the staff of Tihar Jail in Delhi on Monday donated Rs10 lakh for the Uttarakhand flood victims, an official said.
Director General (Prisons) Vimla Mehra handed over the cheque amounting Rs 10 lakh to Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
"The amount collected by the inmates is meant for utilisation as relief for the flood victims in Uttarakhand," Tihar jail spokesperson Sunil Gupta said.
Gupta said the inmates gave money from their daily earnings in the jail. The highest amount of Rs 3.5 lakh was contributed by the inmates of jail number 3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands