Uttarakhand govt gets NCPCR rap on missing count
New Delhi: Uttarakhand government on Thursday came under criticism from the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights for not being able to provide it with adequate data of missing people including children in the tragedy.
"The government is still trying to collate the position of missing people including children as according to them same person has lodged a missing complaint in two three places. They have assured us that they will provide us with the exact data of missing persons by Monday," NCPCR chairperson Kushal Singh said.
She expressed concern over the state government`s claim of finding only one orphan.
"I am worried and finding it hard to believe that they have found only one three-year-old orphan girl with deaths of many adults being reported," she said, adding the girl, whose legs got fractured, is recuperating at a Dehradun hospital.
Singh said she also met the state police chief who assured her that anti-trafficking units have been activated in all the affected districts and special instructions have been given for vigilance in the matter.
"We already had written a letter to the Chief Minister about taking precautionary steps in the case of Uttarakhand as our past experiences showed children in large numbers being trafficked after such a calamity," she said.
She claimed the state government has not implemented the Integrated Child Protection Scheme meant specially for children in need and care.
"We had strongly taken up the issue with the government sometime back. This scheme is related to a child in need of care and protection," she said, adding that some officers from the Women and Child Development Ministry will now go to Uttarakhand and help the government there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read