Uttarakhand govt orders repair of Char Dham Yatra route in time
Dehradun: Uttarakhand government has ordered completion of all road repair and reconstruction works along Char Dham Yatra route well before the start of the annual pilgrimage in May this year.
Directives to this effect were issued by Chief Seceretary Subhash Kumar soon after his return from a tour of Rudraprayag district to review the progress of road reconstruction work under way in the area.
Rudraparayg was one of the three districts apart from Uttarkashi and Chamoli in Garhwal region hit hard by the natural calamity in Uttarakhand last year.
The chief secretary said the Char Dham routes should be repaired well before the scheduled start of the annual pilgrimage in May and the alternative motor roads should be made operational by the end of this month.
Progress of work on this front will be reviewed again at the end of this month and no negligence on part of officials in this regard will be tolerated, the chief secretary warned.
Rs 12 crore have been sanctioned for the reconstruction of an alternative route to Kedarnath between Guptkashi and Mayali which will be operational soon.
When the highway leading to Kedarnath was badly damaged in the calamity last year, it was Guptkashi-Mayali route through which stranded pilgrims had been evacuated to safer places.
Ordering that road repair works should be launched on a war footing in view of the approaching Yatra season, the chief secretary said badly damaged spots on Lambgaon, Kotalgaon-Chamiyala motor roads should be repaired to facilitate smooth movement of traffic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued