Uttarakhand govt refutes cheque bounce charge
Dehradun: The Uttarakhand government on Tuesday refuted reports that cheques distributed as compensation to flood victims in the state had bounced, saying no such case has surfaced so far.
An official release quoting Disaster Management Secretary Bhaskaranand here said cheques distributed as compensation to calamity victims had not bounced as reported in a section of the media.
Media reports in this regard were taken seriously and an inquiry was conducted, but not a single such case was found, it said quoting the official.
However, he confirmed two cases in which there was some confusion initially as the beneficiaries had provided wrong account numbers. But the matter was sorted out by the District Magistrate concerned who provided the compensation cheques to the beneficiaries after making necessary corrections.
Senior BJP leader Ajay Bhatt recently alleged that cheques distributed as compensation to flood victims had bounced.
To substantiate his allegation, Bhatt had cited the example of one Jivan Singh Rawat of Bageshwar district whose compensation cheque of Rs one lakh had bounced after being deposited in a nationalised bank.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur