Uttarakhand official rape case: Woman arrested for blackmail
Dehradun: The 29-year-old woman, who accused an Uttarakhand official of raping her, was on Friday arrested with an accomplice on charges of blackmailing and threatening.
The woman along with her two accomplices, Neeraj Chauhan and Amit Garg, had made a CD of the alleged rape and used it to blackmail and threaten J P Joshi, Uttarakhand Additional Secretary (Home), for money, state DGP B S Sidhu said today addressing a press conference.
The woman and her accomplice Neeraj Chauhan were arrested from Jakhan area here by a team of police led by Mamata Bohra, after questioning.
However, as the woman was on transit bail, she was released after payment of Rs 25,000 bond, the DGP said.
The woman had lodged a complaint on November 25 saying on the pretext of giving her a job in the tourism department, Joshi had called her to a room in the Police Lines Officers` Club in Nainital and allegedly raped her.
In a counter move, Joshi filed an FIR against the woman and two others, Sanjay and M P Singh, alleging that they blackmailed and threatened him.
Uttarakhand government suspended Joshi yesterday after he was arrested two days back.
Investigations revealed that the woman and her accomplices had set up a camera at the Club in Nainital and were constantly interacting with each other, the DGP said.
Their call details confirmed that all the three were in Nainital and had talked about 10-12 times between them, he said.
Chouhan, a resident of Saharanpur in UP, used a fake ID to buy sim card, and called Joshi posing as M P Singh and tried to blackmail the official, the DGP said.
Another accomplice, Sanjay, whose real name is Amit Garg, is absconding, and a hunt is on for him, he said.
Police is also probing the role of Ritu Kandiyaal, youth Congress leader, who is said to have demanded Rs 3 crores from Joshi for settling the issue, the DGP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves