Uttarakhand official rape case: Woman arrested for blackmail
Dehradun: The 29-year-old woman, who accused an Uttarakhand official of raping her, was on Friday arrested with an accomplice on charges of blackmailing and threatening.
The woman along with her two accomplices, Neeraj Chauhan and Amit Garg, had made a CD of the alleged rape and used it to blackmail and threaten J P Joshi, Uttarakhand Additional Secretary (Home), for money, state DGP B S Sidhu said today addressing a press conference.
The woman and her accomplice Neeraj Chauhan were arrested from Jakhan area here by a team of police led by Mamata Bohra, after questioning.
However, as the woman was on transit bail, she was released after payment of Rs 25,000 bond, the DGP said.
The woman had lodged a complaint on November 25 saying on the pretext of giving her a job in the tourism department, Joshi had called her to a room in the Police Lines Officers` Club in Nainital and allegedly raped her.
In a counter move, Joshi filed an FIR against the woman and two others, Sanjay and M P Singh, alleging that they blackmailed and threatened him.
Uttarakhand government suspended Joshi yesterday after he was arrested two days back.
Investigations revealed that the woman and her accomplices had set up a camera at the Club in Nainital and were constantly interacting with each other, the DGP said.
Their call details confirmed that all the three were in Nainital and had talked about 10-12 times between them, he said.
Chouhan, a resident of Saharanpur in UP, used a fake ID to buy sim card, and called Joshi posing as M P Singh and tried to blackmail the official, the DGP said.
Another accomplice, Sanjay, whose real name is Amit Garg, is absconding, and a hunt is on for him, he said.
Police is also probing the role of Ritu Kandiyaal, youth Congress leader, who is said to have demanded Rs 3 crores from Joshi for settling the issue, the DGP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details