Uttarakhand prohibits women from working beyond 6 pm
Dehradun: In a bizarre development, the Uttarakhand Government has passed an order that prohibits women from working beyond 6 pm in private and government jobs.
The step is being seen as too extreme to curb crimes against women.
The state government is being severely criticised for this regressive approach, and the Opposition is objecting to the directive.
The Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna-led state government has reportedly taken the step in the wake of the gang-rape and subsequent death of a 23-year-old woman in New Delhi late last month. The woman was repeatedly raped inside a dark tinted glass moving bus, and suffered gruesome injuries. She had to be eventually flown out to Singapore’s Mount Elizabeth Hospital, but succumbed after a battle for survival of 13 days.
In the wake of the December 16 gang-rape incident, there has been a flurry of media revelations regarding incidents of rape across the country.
The reports have prompted several state governments and the central government to fine tune the laws of the country regarding rape and other sexual crimes against women. Several commissions, headed by retired judges, have also been set up to discuss the problem threadbare and to come out with recommendations for change. The police are also under pressure to improve its responses to the general public on issues of law and order as well as crimes.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India