Uttarakhand roads will be restored by October: Oscar Fernandes
Kottayam: Damaged roads in flood-hit Uttarakhand would be fully restored by October this year for which Rs 1,000 crore had been sanctioned from the Prime Minister`s relief fund, Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways Oscar Fernandes said on Sunday.
Stating that restoration of roads in Uttarakhand would be taken up on a war footing, he termed reports in a section of media that differences had cropped up between his ministry and the Border Road Organisation (BRO) over road restoration task in Uttarakhand, as baseless.
"I am not aware of this," was his reply when reporters at a meet-the-press here drew his attention to reports that a "cold war" is on between his ministry and the BRO.
Erosion of highways due to heavy rains was a serious problem in some regions of the country. Construction of reinforced concrete roads (RCRs) in vulnerable regions was under consideration to tackle this problem, he said.
Acquisition of required land and getting forest and environmental clearances were two major factors in starting highway projects, Fernandes said.
Land acquisition was the most important problem in Kerala, Fernandes, who is in the state to review the progress of highway development, added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets