Uttarakhand seeks 100 tonnes bleach for carcasses disposal
New Delhi: The Uttarakhand government has requested the central government for 100 tonnes of bleaching powder to help dispose of the carcasses of animals killed in the recent floods, a health ministry official said here Sunday.
Director General of Health Services Jagdish Prasad told IANS that the request was made at a high-level meeting with Uttarakhand officials attended by union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna.
A large number of mules and horses, used to ferry pilgrims to the holy shrines of Kedarnath and Badrinath, perished in the Uttarakhand flash floods together with hundreds of pilgrims and visitors.
He said central health ministry teams have been sent to all the 13 districts of the state, but as of now no threat of epidemic has been detected.
Three central public health teams have been posted to Uttarakhand and are deployed in the affected areas of Chamoli and Joshimath, he said.
A two-member public health team from Delhi has reached Dehradun and has been placed at the service of the state health authorities.
The incessant and intense rains that hit Uttarakhand over three days from June 14 triggered flash floods and landslides, leading to hundreds of deaths, while hundreds more are missing.
Over 100,000 people have been evacuated so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured