Uttarakhand seeks 100 tonnes bleach for carcasses disposal
New Delhi: The Uttarakhand government has requested the central government for 100 tonnes of bleaching powder to help dispose of the carcasses of animals killed in the recent floods, a health ministry official said here Sunday.
Director General of Health Services Jagdish Prasad told IANS that the request was made at a high-level meeting with Uttarakhand officials attended by union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna.
A large number of mules and horses, used to ferry pilgrims to the holy shrines of Kedarnath and Badrinath, perished in the Uttarakhand flash floods together with hundreds of pilgrims and visitors.
He said central health ministry teams have been sent to all the 13 districts of the state, but as of now no threat of epidemic has been detected.
Three central public health teams have been posted to Uttarakhand and are deployed in the affected areas of Chamoli and Joshimath, he said.
A two-member public health team from Delhi has reached Dehradun and has been placed at the service of the state health authorities.
The incessant and intense rains that hit Uttarakhand over three days from June 14 triggered flash floods and landslides, leading to hundreds of deaths, while hundreds more are missing.
Over 100,000 people have been evacuated so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?
- ISI plotted 26/11 Mumbai attacks with Pakistan govt's support, says David Headley