Uttarakhand seeks Rs 15 crore for disaster-hit schools
Dehradun: The Uttarakhand government has asked the Centre to sanction Rs 15 crore for the repair and reconstruction of 139 middle schools destroyed in the mid June calamity in the hill state.
The demand was raised by Uttarakhand Education Minister Mantri Prasad Naithani at the 62nd meeting of Central Education Advisory Board held in the capital yesterday, which was presided by Union Minister of State for Human Resource Development Jitin Prasada.
According to an official statement, Naithani also placed a demand for increasing the fund amount from the sanctioned Rs 35.94 crore to Rs 88.56 crore for the completely destroyed 131 primary schools, 28 upper primary schools and 577 partially damaged primary school buildings.
He urged the Centre to approve funds in the ratio of 90:10 as in the case of northern region states.
Thousands of lives were lost and infrastructure was damaged in the devastating floods, cloudbursts and landslides in Uttarakhand in June.
The union government gave an assurance to consider Naithani`s proposal in the budget, the release said.
He also suggested appointment of a yoga and an exercise teacher in every school to be approved at the central level, saying this will not only ensure mental and physical fitness of students, but also give a boost to employment in large numbers.
The minister also suggested relieving teachers of the responsibility of keeping an account of ration received under midday meal scheme and devising an alternative system for it.
Naithani said teachers should not be given assignments like population count as it hampers education-related work.
Listing the steps taken by the state government to boost education of the girl child, he said cycles have been distributed among girls in the plains, while Fixed Deposit of a decided amount has been deposited in their accounts in hilly areas.
Rs 500 is being given to each student in disaster affected areas to purchase education related material, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why