Uttarakhand to requisition choppers to tackle bad weather
Dehradun: With incessant rains over the last two days hampering relief operations in Uttarakhand, the state government on Sunday geared up to requisition choppers which can be flown even in bad weather to take food supplies to affected areas in Rudraprayag, Uttarkashi and Chamoli districts.
As the network of major roads in these districts are still damaged making it impossible for the administration to transport trucks carrying relief material to affected villages especially the ones totally cut off, weather resistant choppers are the only option left for the authorities to ensure food supplies to villages facing foodgrain shortage, an official said.
The state Disaster Management and Mitigation Department will hold an emergency meeting on Sunday to discuss how choppers capable of flying even in bad weather can be pressed into service.
The team of experts dispatched to Kedarghati for removal of debris and disposal of bodies is also finding it difficult to carry out the exercise due to wet weather and lack of heavy equipment, official sources said.
The lightweight equipment provided by the NDRF is proving inadequate to remove tonnes of debris in Kedarghati under which bodies may still be lying, they said.
Paucity of foodstuff for personnel engaged in the exercise at the high altitude shrine has further complicated their task, they said.
The food stocks at the Himalayan shrine are fast running out and some of the personnel engaged in the operation are also reported to be sick.
A 13-member police team trying to tear its way through heaps of debris lying on the roads to Kedarnath had to return from Rambada to Gaurikund as it could not go further.
Fresh spell of rains in Kedarghati over the past two days have instilled fear among residents of villages adjoining the shrine with waters of Mandakini and Alaknanda constantly on the rise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC