Uttarakhand to set up authority to conserve glaciers
Dehradun: Uttarakhand Government is
planning to set up an authority with the aim of conserving
Himalayan glaciers in the hill state.
The proposed Snow and Glaciers Authority (SGA) is
expected to be headed by Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal
Nishank and will study the impact of climate change on nearly
1,400 big and small glaciers, top official sources said.
Keeping in view the importance of glaciers, source of
many rivers including Ganga, the chief minister had recently
asked officials to take the initiative for setting up the
The SGA will exchange statistics and also ideas in
close partnership with neighbouring Himachal Pradesh and Uttar
Pradesh for better management of water resources, ecology and
environment conservation, Uttarakhand Science and Technology
Secretary Rajiv Chandra told a news agency.
The Authority will also share data and research
related to glaciers with the countries working in the field of
climate change at global level, Chandra added.
Renowned experts in the field, including those from
Chandigarh-based Snow and Avalanche Studies Establishment and
Dehradun-based Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology, will be
part of the proposed body that would coordinate with various
government departments, he said.
It will also take help from the Indian Space Research
There are several organisations working in this field
at private-level globally, but the proposed authority will be
a unique government initiative, MM Kimothi, Director of
Uttarakhand Space Application Centre (U-SAC) said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part IV
- Chennai: Woman Infosys employee stabbed to death at railway station
- BJP demands CBI enquiry into AAP leader Santosh Koli's death
- PCB: Shahryar Khan gets Nawaz Sharif's nod to continue as Chairman
- Clarify on 'talaaq' write-up in BJP journal: Shiv Sena to Devendra Fadnavis
- BCCI to replace Syed Mushtaq Ali trophy with new domestic T20 league; Ranji Trophy matches to be played at neutral venues
- What's cooking! When Deepika Padukone donned the chef hat – View pic