Uttarakhand to set up authority to conserve glaciers
Dehradun: Uttarakhand Government is
planning to set up an authority with the aim of conserving
Himalayan glaciers in the hill state.
The proposed Snow and Glaciers Authority (SGA) is
expected to be headed by Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal
Nishank and will study the impact of climate change on nearly
1,400 big and small glaciers, top official sources said.
Keeping in view the importance of glaciers, source of
many rivers including Ganga, the chief minister had recently
asked officials to take the initiative for setting up the
The SGA will exchange statistics and also ideas in
close partnership with neighbouring Himachal Pradesh and Uttar
Pradesh for better management of water resources, ecology and
environment conservation, Uttarakhand Science and Technology
Secretary Rajiv Chandra told a news agency.
The Authority will also share data and research
related to glaciers with the countries working in the field of
climate change at global level, Chandra added.
Renowned experts in the field, including those from
Chandigarh-based Snow and Avalanche Studies Establishment and
Dehradun-based Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology, will be
part of the proposed body that would coordinate with various
government departments, he said.
It will also take help from the Indian Space Research
There are several organisations working in this field
at private-level globally, but the proposed authority will be
a unique government initiative, MM Kimothi, Director of
Uttarakhand Space Application Centre (U-SAC) said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’