Uttarakhand to set up separate Authority to regulate Kedarnath yatra
Dehradun: With the June calamity extensively damaging infrastructure in Kedar valley, Uttarakhand government has decided to constitute a Kedarnath Development Authority to regulate the annual pilgrimage to the Himalayan shrine along the lines of the Vaishnodevi yatra.
Efforts are already under way to give final touches to the authority which will regulate the yatra besides taking on the responsibility of overseeing the reconstruction efforts in Kedar valley, officials said here today.
A notification announcing the formation of the authority is likely to be issued any moment, they said.
In the wake of the calamity in which areas close to the shrine suffered massive damages and thousands of visitors to the famed temple went missing, the state government strongly feels the need of a separate authority to regulate the yatra to Kedarnath, they said.
The authority will not only oversee rebuilding efforts in the area but also regulate the number of visitors to the temple, their movement and the period of the yatra, they said.
Besides, it will supervise the reconstruction efforts in the specified areas close to the shrine like Rambada, Gaurikund and Guptkashi.
It will prepare a masterplan for repairing and constructing the damaged roads, identifying locations for building ropeways and residential arrangements, the officials said.
Deliberations were held on the constitution of the authority at a Cabinet meeting here yesterday after which there was no media briefing as the monsoon session of the state assembly scheduled to commence later this month is already notified, an official requesting anonymity said.
District magistrates concerned have been asked to identify areas falling into the jurisdiction of the authority.
Chief Secretary Subhash Kumar said constitution of the authority will lend pace to reconstruction efforts in Kedar ghati and resumption of the yatrs to the shrine.
No new legislation is required for the constitution of the authority, official sources said, adding it can be constituted under the Uttarakhand Special Areas (Planned and Regulated Development and Upgradation of Tourism) Act, 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM