Uttarakhand to stop untreated water flows into Ganga
Haridwar: Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna has announced that by 2013 untreated water will stop flowing into the Ganga river in the state.
"We will ensure that untreated water stops flowing into the Ganga by 2013. The government is working to make this happen," Bahuguna said at Mahadev Ganga Mahotsav (festival) here Wednesday.
The festival was organised by entertainment channel Life OK in which experts and scientists gathered to discuss ways to save the river from industrial affluents and other wastes.
World Wide Fund for Nature has declared the Ganga as one of the 10 endangered rivers of the world.
Bahugna said there is a need to change the mindset of the people about the river which is revered by the Hindus.
"We are all concerned over the deteriorating ecological health of the Ganga and there is a need to include the importance of environment and the Ganga in school curriculum," Bahuguna added.
He also urged the farmers of Uttarakhand to reduce the use of chemicals and instead use fertilizers so that water containing chemicals from the paddy fields does not flow into the river.
"Despite the Ganga having the capacity of generating 2,700 MW of power for the state, we bought power worth Rs.1,500 crore as we did not want to exert pressure on the Ganga," he added.
The chief minister said that his Congress-led government will spare no effort to protect the river and there is no dearth of funds for the cause.
"Though industrialization is inevitable for the state, we will not welcome any polluting industries in the state. Every industry will have to conform to the environmental norms," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department