Uttarakhand to stop untreated water flows into Ganga
Haridwar: Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna has announced that by 2013 untreated water will stop flowing into the Ganga river in the state.
"We will ensure that untreated water stops flowing into the Ganga by 2013. The government is working to make this happen," Bahuguna said at Mahadev Ganga Mahotsav (festival) here Wednesday.
The festival was organised by entertainment channel Life OK in which experts and scientists gathered to discuss ways to save the river from industrial affluents and other wastes.
World Wide Fund for Nature has declared the Ganga as one of the 10 endangered rivers of the world.
Bahugna said there is a need to change the mindset of the people about the river which is revered by the Hindus.
"We are all concerned over the deteriorating ecological health of the Ganga and there is a need to include the importance of environment and the Ganga in school curriculum," Bahuguna added.
He also urged the farmers of Uttarakhand to reduce the use of chemicals and instead use fertilizers so that water containing chemicals from the paddy fields does not flow into the river.
"Despite the Ganga having the capacity of generating 2,700 MW of power for the state, we bought power worth Rs.1,500 crore as we did not want to exert pressure on the Ganga," he added.
The chief minister said that his Congress-led government will spare no effort to protect the river and there is no dearth of funds for the cause.
"Though industrialization is inevitable for the state, we will not welcome any polluting industries in the state. Every industry will have to conform to the environmental norms," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?