Uttarakhand to stop untreated water flows into Ganga
Haridwar: Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna has announced that by 2013 untreated water will stop flowing into the Ganga river in the state.
"We will ensure that untreated water stops flowing into the Ganga by 2013. The government is working to make this happen," Bahuguna said at Mahadev Ganga Mahotsav (festival) here Wednesday.
The festival was organised by entertainment channel Life OK in which experts and scientists gathered to discuss ways to save the river from industrial affluents and other wastes.
World Wide Fund for Nature has declared the Ganga as one of the 10 endangered rivers of the world.
Bahugna said there is a need to change the mindset of the people about the river which is revered by the Hindus.
"We are all concerned over the deteriorating ecological health of the Ganga and there is a need to include the importance of environment and the Ganga in school curriculum," Bahuguna added.
He also urged the farmers of Uttarakhand to reduce the use of chemicals and instead use fertilizers so that water containing chemicals from the paddy fields does not flow into the river.
"Despite the Ganga having the capacity of generating 2,700 MW of power for the state, we bought power worth Rs.1,500 crore as we did not want to exert pressure on the Ganga," he added.
The chief minister said that his Congress-led government will spare no effort to protect the river and there is no dearth of funds for the cause.
"Though industrialization is inevitable for the state, we will not welcome any polluting industries in the state. Every industry will have to conform to the environmental norms," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- WATCH: HISTORIC! Neeraj Chopra sets U-20 Javelin record, becomes first Indian world champion in athletics
- REVEALED: Why Hindu families in Aligarh want to sell their houses, leave area
- We’re not broken, just bent and we can learn to love again!
- Suspended Bihar BJP MLC Tunna Pandey sent to 12-day custody for molesting minor girl on train
- What a strong statement! Sushma Swaraj blasts Nawaz Sharif for delusional, dangerous Kashmir dream: READ top quotes