Uttarakhand yet to implement water management act
Dehradun: The Uttarakhand government is yet to implement its water management and regulatory act, which experts claim could mitigate natural disasters.
The Uttarakhand Water Management and Regulatory Act, 2013, came into being after Governor Aziz Qureshi gave his consent on April 4, much before the disaster struck the state on June 16-17.
The act provides for establishment of a Water Management Regulatory Authority which will ensure judicious and equitable management of water resources in the state as well as its proper allocation and optimal utilisation.
The five-member authority will have the powers of a civil court and the mandate to carry out developments in the state in an eco-friendly and sustainable manner.
It will also devise a new water policy to manage rivers which are wreaking havoc on the villages situated on their banks in the state during the past few years.
The proposed authority will also fix rates for water use for industrial, drinking, power, agriculture and other purposes and take cess on land benefited by flood protection and drainage works.
Noted environmentalist Anil Prakash Joshi said, "Water management has become a necessity in the flood-affected state and government should take immediate measures to implement this act."
As per the act, the proposed authority will approve an integrated state water plan and basin plans to ensure sustainable management of water resources within the parameters laid down by the state water policy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali