Uttarakhand`s new Lokayukta Bill a fraud on people: Khanduri
Dehradun: The provisions of the new Lokayukta bill passed by the Uttarakhand Assembly will lead to the creation of a toothless anti-corruption body which will only help patronise the corrupt and perpetuate corruption, former Chief Minister B C Khanduri on Wednesday said.
"It is a blatant fraud on the people of the state. The provisions of the new Lokayukta bill will lead to the creation of a toothless anti-corruption body which will only help patronise the corrupt and perpetuate corruption," the senior BJP leader said.
Uttarakhand Assembly yesterday passed a new Lokayukta Bill modelled on the Centre`s Lokpal even as opposition BJP walked out of the House. The new bill replaced Uttarakhand Lokayukta Act passed during Khanduri`s regime.
"The bill brought in during my tenure sought to give total autonomy to the anti-graft ombudsman by freeing it from all political interference and bringing all high offices including that of the CM and the lower judiciary under its purview.
"It was also given Presidential assent in September last year after close scrutiny. Still the government deliberately slept over its implementation and replaced the Act with a new bill as its intentions were not fair," he said.
Khanduri said had the state government`s intention been fair it would have implemented the Lokayukta Act passed unanimously by the state Assembly during his tenure.
According to the new Lokayukta Bill, the Lokayukta will be created in the state and headed by a practising or retired judge or Chief Justice of the High Court.
The Lokayukta will be appointed on the recommendation of a five-member selection panel to be headed by the Chief Minister, whose office has also been kept under its ambit.
"How can we expect a Lokayukta to be objective in its investigation of functionaries of a government on whose recommendation it has been appointed," Khanduri asked.
Besides the head, there will be four members on the panel?out of which 50 per cent will be from the judiciary and 50 per cent?from SC/ST/OBC, minorities or women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM