Uttrakhand imposes surcharge on food items, consumer goods
Dehra Dun: The Uttarakhand government on Sunday
announced a surcharge of 0.5-1 per cent on select consumer
goods and day-to-day food items like dal, sugar and rice,
which would come into effect from tomorrow.
In a notification, the state government said that a
surcharge of 0.5 per cent would be imposed on items where the
Value Added Tax (VAT) is 4 per cent and 1 per cent on items
with 12.5 per cent VAT.
The new surcharge food would be levied on essential items
like dal, sugar, rice and various FMCG items, making them
When contacted, state media advisory committee Chairman
Devendra Bhasin said the surcharge was imposed since the state
government was facing a heavy burden of the Sixth Pay panel.
The finance department is hoping to generate Rs 100-150
crore through the new surcharge.
The people in the state will have to bear additional
burden of the surcharge on food items, already under strain
after the fuel price hike announced in the Union Budget two
Seen as a move to earn extra revenue in the face of acute
financial crunch on account of Rs 4,000 crore outgo that the
state would have to face due to the recommendations of the
Sixth Pay Commission. The state is trying to generate more
revenue for the ballooning Non-plan expenditure.
The move has come under severe criticism from various
quarters. The budget session of the Vidhan Sabha is slated to
begin from March 8.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview