Vidhan Bhawan at Gairsain: A deft move by Cong govt
Dehradun: The decision to build a Vidhan Bhawan at Gairsain and hold a session there annually is being seen as an astute political move by Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna to bolster Congress` prospects in the mountainous regions of the state before 2014 Lok Sabha polls.
Political analysts believe that the announcement will go a long way in strengthening Congress for the next general elections as Gairsain has been a major emotive issue with a large section of those who fought for Uttarakhand favouring Chamoli district as the permanent capital of the hill state.
The ruling Congress has taken a lead over the opposition by striking an emotional chord with the hill people with the announcement as BJP despite being in the saddle for seven out of 12 years of the state`s existence is charged with not acting on the sensitive issue.
It is the first government in the 12-year-old state which has moved on the issue and this is sure to have an impact on the minds of the hill people, they held.
The move would initiate the process of infrastructure building there and may pave the way for its gradual emergence at least as the summer capital of the state if not a permanent one, they said.
Congress insiders requesting anonymity even suggested that Bahuguna`s next announcement may be declaring Gairsain as the state`s summer capital before 2014 Lok Sabha polls if the Vidhan Bhawan building and related infrastructure comes up there on time.
The decision also appears to have been prompted by Congress` defeat at the hands of BJP in the bypoll to Tehri Lok Sabha seat in the hills where Chief Minister`s son Saket Bahuguna lost to Mala Rajya Laxmi Shah of BJP by more than 22,000 votes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP wins big, grabs 81 BMC seats; Fadnavis credits PM Narendra Modi
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway