Vijay Bahuguna takes oath as MLA
Dehra Dun: Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna was on Monday administered oath as an MLA of the state Assembly by Speaker Govind Singh Kunjwal.
The oath-taking ceremony, which was held in the Speaker`s chamber, was attended by Bahuguna`s family members, union minister Harish Rawat, Lok Sabha MP Satpal Maharaj and Uttarakhand PCC Chief Yashpal Arya among others.
Bahuguna was elected as MLA from Sitarganj last month when he defeated his nearest rival of BJP, Prakash Pant, with a record margin of nearly 40,000 votes in the by-election which was necessitated after former BJP MLA Kiran Mandal quit his membership in his favour.
Bahuguna`s huge win also increased the tally of Congress to 33 in a house of 70 while the strength of the BJP was reduced to 30. All the 7 non-Congress and non-BJP MLAs including 3 independents are supporting the Bahuguna government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress