Vijay Bahuguna takes oath as MLA
Dehra Dun: Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna was on Monday administered oath as an MLA of the state Assembly by Speaker Govind Singh Kunjwal.
The oath-taking ceremony, which was held in the Speaker`s chamber, was attended by Bahuguna`s family members, union minister Harish Rawat, Lok Sabha MP Satpal Maharaj and Uttarakhand PCC Chief Yashpal Arya among others.
Bahuguna was elected as MLA from Sitarganj last month when he defeated his nearest rival of BJP, Prakash Pant, with a record margin of nearly 40,000 votes in the by-election which was necessitated after former BJP MLA Kiran Mandal quit his membership in his favour.
Bahuguna`s huge win also increased the tally of Congress to 33 in a house of 70 while the strength of the BJP was reduced to 30. All the 7 non-Congress and non-BJP MLAs including 3 independents are supporting the Bahuguna government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test
- Donald Trump threatens to leave WTO
- British PM Theresa May heads to N. Ireland for Brexit talks
- Rio Olympics: WADA 'disappointed' as IOC fails to ban Russia for mega event