Villagers go on rampage in Uttaranchal, two injured
Kotdwar: Two persons were injured when villagers went on a rampage insisting on burning to death a leopard which they claimed had killed two kids in the district, prompting the police to resort to lathicharge, an official said on Saturday.
Trouble erupted in Ekeshwar block of the district when forest guards last night trapped a leopard suspected of creating panic in the area and villagers tried to stop them from taking away the big cat, Divisional Forest Officer Amit Verma said.
"Villagers were insisting that they should be allowed to burn to death the leopard claiming that it had recently killed two kids in Bagera and Budhgaon villages," he said.
They began damaging forest department vehicles and hurling stones at the forest guards and when efforts to dissuade them failed, the matter was reported to police which rushed to the spot to calm down the angry mob, he said.
However, the mob refused to budge prompting the police to resort to a lathicharge which left two villagers with minor injuries, he said.
The police action finally dispersed the crowd and the man eating leopard was taken away by forest officials, the DFO added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read