Villagers go on rampage in Uttaranchal, two injured
Kotdwar: Two persons were injured when villagers went on a rampage insisting on burning to death a leopard which they claimed had killed two kids in the district, prompting the police to resort to lathicharge, an official said on Saturday.
Trouble erupted in Ekeshwar block of the district when forest guards last night trapped a leopard suspected of creating panic in the area and villagers tried to stop them from taking away the big cat, Divisional Forest Officer Amit Verma said.
"Villagers were insisting that they should be allowed to burn to death the leopard claiming that it had recently killed two kids in Bagera and Budhgaon villages," he said.
They began damaging forest department vehicles and hurling stones at the forest guards and when efforts to dissuade them failed, the matter was reported to police which rushed to the spot to calm down the angry mob, he said.
However, the mob refused to budge prompting the police to resort to a lathicharge which left two villagers with minor injuries, he said.
The police action finally dispersed the crowd and the man eating leopard was taken away by forest officials, the DFO added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?