Virbhadra Singh not to celebrate birthday
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh will not celebrate his 79th birthday Sunday in view of the natural calamity and deaths in the state and neighbouring Uttarakhand, a statement said here.
"The chief minister has decided not to celebrate his birthday in this hour of grief and sorrow due to natural calamity which struck Kinnaur district of Himachal Pradesh and neighbouring Uttarakhand," the statement said Saturday.
"The people of the state have sympathies with those affected by this natural calamity and pray for early mitigation of their sufferings," the chief minister said.
Fourteen people are reported to have been killed in Himachal landslides triggered by rains that began last weekend, while in Uttarakhand nearly 600 people have been killed in the devastation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM