Water level continues to rise in dams in Uttarakhand
New Delhi: Rising water levels in the Tehri dam continue to put the states of Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh at risk.
Over 60 people have died in cloudbursts and landslides triggered by heavy rains in Almora and Naintial since Saturday.
Earlier, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal went on an aerial survey of Tehri, Haridwar, Nainital and Almora to assess the situation.
He`s announced relief of one lakh rupees to families of those who lost their lives.
"If it breaches the 830 feet mark, there could be a deluge. The Teri dam has the capacity to hold water up to 830 feet. The Koteshwar dam will overflow as a result. Massive damage is feared in parts of Rishikesh, Haridwar and western Uttar Pradesh," said Nishank.
Meanwhile, the Central Government has sent six teams of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) for rescue and relief work to the State.
"Three teams comprising of 90 NDRF personnel along with 20 boats and other flood and rescue equipment have been deployed at Haridwar. Other three teams comprising of 101 personnel along with 25 boats and other flood and rescue equipment have been deployed at Rishikesh," an official release stated.
Ministry of Home Affairs is constantly monitoring the situation in close coordination with the concerned State Governments and nodal Central Ministries, the release further stated.
The monsoon has caused heavy floods in several parts of India like Haryana, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and Uttarakhand causing heavy devastation to life and property. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand