Water Min sets up panel to find reasons behind U`khand floods
New Delhi: Amid debate over the reasons behind the recent flash floods in Uttarakhand, the Centre today set up a committee of experts to find out the possible causes behind the deluge and propose various measures, including early warning system at higher altitudes.
The formation of the committee by Water Resources Minister Harish Rawat comes against the backdrop of Public Accounts Committee slamming his Ministry for failing to formulate an "actionable plan" for flood management as per the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) guidelines.
The committee will be headed by Chairman, Ganga Flood Control Commission, Patna and will comprise representatives from Central Water Commission, India Meteorological Department and Ministry of Water Resources.
"The Ministry of Water Resources has constituted a committee to understand the possible causes of recent flood and landslides in the state of Uttarakhand...
"The committee will study various issues including the river bank erosion, the river draining systems, effect of sedimentation downstream and also the effectiveness of flood warning systems, the monitoring of lakes in the high altitudes including glacier lakes that could be a part of a more effective early warning system for flash floods," a ministry statement said.
The panel has been asked to finalise its recommendations in three weeks after visiting the sites.
"It was felt that there is an immediate need to understand the possible causes thereof and to take measures in the light of lessons learnt," it said.
According to a PAC note, the Water Resources Ministry was responsible for laying down policy guidelines and programmes for the development and regulation of the country`s water resources.
"According to the guidelines for management of floods issued by NDMA in January 2008, the ministry was to prepare a detailed action plan for management of floods. The ministry had not formulated actionable plan for management of floods as per NDMA guidelines," the note said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'