Water poisoning: Supply to 17 U`khand villages sto
Kotdwara (Uttarakhand): The Uttarakhand Jal Sansthan (UJS) has stopped drinking water supply from East Nayar River in Pauri district to nearly 17 villages following reports of poisoning.
"We have stopped the drinking water supply and are making scientific tests to verify reports of poisoning at East Nayar river," UJS Secretary Appraisal P C Kimothi said here.
Villagers staying close to the river have alleged that some miscreants had poisoned the water leading to the death of hundreds of fish. Two dogs were also found dead on the river bank.
The poisoned area is near the source of water supply to 17 villages in the region, Kimothi said.
The allegations have come at a time when the region is reeling under an intense hot spell, leading to water scarcity.
The area`s District Forest Officer M B Singh said he had asked the Range officers of Pokhara and Thailisain forest Range, near the river, to investigate the matter and report to him immediately.
SDM Thailisain, Madan Ram, also directed officials to investigate the matter and file a report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- China's state media calls LeT 'Pak-based military group', downplays boycott call of Chinese goods in Indian markets