Water poisoning: Supply to 17 U`khand villages sto
Kotdwara (Uttarakhand): The Uttarakhand Jal Sansthan (UJS) has stopped drinking water supply from East Nayar River in Pauri district to nearly 17 villages following reports of poisoning.
"We have stopped the drinking water supply and are making scientific tests to verify reports of poisoning at East Nayar river," UJS Secretary Appraisal P C Kimothi said here.
Villagers staying close to the river have alleged that some miscreants had poisoned the water leading to the death of hundreds of fish. Two dogs were also found dead on the river bank.
The poisoned area is near the source of water supply to 17 villages in the region, Kimothi said.
The allegations have come at a time when the region is reeling under an intense hot spell, leading to water scarcity.
The area`s District Forest Officer M B Singh said he had asked the Range officers of Pokhara and Thailisain forest Range, near the river, to investigate the matter and report to him immediately.
SDM Thailisain, Madan Ram, also directed officials to investigate the matter and file a report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok