WC win brings road to Dhoni`s ancestral village
Dehradun: Reeling under backwardness for
long, Mahendra Singh Dhoni`s ancestral Lwali village in
Uttarakhand has something to cheer about as the state
government has announced a road to the area to honour the team
India captain for winning the cricket World Cup.
Dhoni`s relatives as well as other villagers have
been demanding developmental works during the past several
And now, Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank has
announced a new road for Lwali in Almora district as an
additional reward for the achievement of Dhoni. The village
has a population of 60 odd families.
Pokhriyal has already announced to give a residential
plot or a house to Dhoni and cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar for
winning the cup.
The Chief Minister had announced that Dhoni and
Tendulkar would be given a residential plot or a house, in the
picturesque town of Mussoorie.
Dhanpat Singh Dhoni, the Indian team captain`s uncle
said, "We have heard that there will be road for Lwali. But
I am not impressed as the fate of such announcements remain
Last month, Dhoni`s parents had come to Lwali to
participate in a marriage ceremony.
As of now, villagers trek for nearly 4-5 km to reach
Lwali from Bajaghar area, the last road head in the area where
drinking water is also a scarcity.
Govind Singh Kunjwal, the local MLA, has also
announced a special incentive of Rs 10 lakh from his area
development fund for providing various amenities like drinking
water and toilet facilities in Lwali village.
However, Kunjwal, a native of the adjoining Jaiti
village, expressed concern over the non-construction of pucca
road for Lwali, saying though the road was sanctioned when ND
Tiwari was chief minister due to some reasons it could not be
constructed till now.
"Now tendering process has started and we are hopeful
that the road to Lwali will be built in the next five to six
months time," Kunjwal said.
When contacted, NS Dangi, SDM Jaiti tehsil, said the
government is committed to construct the road to Lwali and
hopefully it will be built in the next few months.
Dhoni`s father Pan Singh had migrated to Jharkhand
three decades ago in search of a job.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened