WC win brings road to Dhoni`s ancestral village
Dehradun: Reeling under backwardness for
long, Mahendra Singh Dhoni`s ancestral Lwali village in
Uttarakhand has something to cheer about as the state
government has announced a road to the area to honour the team
India captain for winning the cricket World Cup.
Dhoni`s relatives as well as other villagers have
been demanding developmental works during the past several
And now, Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank has
announced a new road for Lwali in Almora district as an
additional reward for the achievement of Dhoni. The village
has a population of 60 odd families.
Pokhriyal has already announced to give a residential
plot or a house to Dhoni and cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar for
winning the cup.
The Chief Minister had announced that Dhoni and
Tendulkar would be given a residential plot or a house, in the
picturesque town of Mussoorie.
Dhanpat Singh Dhoni, the Indian team captain`s uncle
said, "We have heard that there will be road for Lwali. But
I am not impressed as the fate of such announcements remain
Last month, Dhoni`s parents had come to Lwali to
participate in a marriage ceremony.
As of now, villagers trek for nearly 4-5 km to reach
Lwali from Bajaghar area, the last road head in the area where
drinking water is also a scarcity.
Govind Singh Kunjwal, the local MLA, has also
announced a special incentive of Rs 10 lakh from his area
development fund for providing various amenities like drinking
water and toilet facilities in Lwali village.
However, Kunjwal, a native of the adjoining Jaiti
village, expressed concern over the non-construction of pucca
road for Lwali, saying though the road was sanctioned when ND
Tiwari was chief minister due to some reasons it could not be
constructed till now.
"Now tendering process has started and we are hopeful
that the road to Lwali will be built in the next five to six
months time," Kunjwal said.
When contacted, NS Dangi, SDM Jaiti tehsil, said the
government is committed to construct the road to Lwali and
hopefully it will be built in the next few months.
Dhoni`s father Pan Singh had migrated to Jharkhand
three decades ago in search of a job.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- From Shahid Kapoor to Tommy Singh: Check out the eye-popping transformation for 'Udta Punjab' – Watch
- Finance Ministry defends lower interest rate on EPF, cites lack of funds
- Rahul Gandhi and Buddhadeb Bhattacharya are doing ILU ILU in WB: Amit Shah
- UP Police computer operator exam 2016: Admit card available at uppbpb.gov.in - Check dates
- Won't be giving any more statements to media: Kangana Ranaut