Woman BJP leader dies of burns in Delhi hospital
Dehradun: Geeta Shankar, a BJP leader who
was set on fire over a personal enmity at her house in
Rishikesh three days back, died in a Delhi hospital, a senior
police official said here on Monday.
Shankar died in Safdarjung Hospital in the national
capital last night, Dehradun Senior Superintendent of Police
G N Goswami said.
42-year-old Shankar was admitted to a hospital here on
September 23 with over 65 per cent burn injuries. The next day
she was referred to Safdarjung Hospital in view of her
The incident took place on Friday morning when a man,
identified as Lakshman Singh, reached Shankar`s house at THDC
colony in Rishikesh near here and set her on fire after
pouring petrol on her.
Shankar`s teenage daughter Khushboo (17), who was
present at the time of the incident, had died that day due to
shock after witnessing the gruesome incident.
Shankar was the zonal president of Shyampur area of
Uttarakhand BJP`s women`s wing.
Within hours of the incident, Lakshman Singh was arrested
and booked under various Sections of the IPC. SSP Goswami said
he will now also be charged with murder.
President of Parwadun BJP district unit, Saroj Dimri,
claimed that the accused was Shankar`s relative and was angry
with her as she was pressurising the police to take action
against him in a case involving a local girl.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official
- PM Narendra Modi condemns attack on Kabul`s American University
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors
- Awwdorable: Vivek Dahiya singing 'Lag Ja Gale' to Divyanka Tripathi will melt your heart – Watch