Woman BJP leader dies of burns in Delhi hospital
Dehradun: Geeta Shankar, a BJP leader who
was set on fire over a personal enmity at her house in
Rishikesh three days back, died in a Delhi hospital, a senior
police official said here on Monday.
Shankar died in Safdarjung Hospital in the national
capital last night, Dehradun Senior Superintendent of Police
G N Goswami said.
42-year-old Shankar was admitted to a hospital here on
September 23 with over 65 per cent burn injuries. The next day
she was referred to Safdarjung Hospital in view of her
The incident took place on Friday morning when a man,
identified as Lakshman Singh, reached Shankar`s house at THDC
colony in Rishikesh near here and set her on fire after
pouring petrol on her.
Shankar`s teenage daughter Khushboo (17), who was
present at the time of the incident, had died that day due to
shock after witnessing the gruesome incident.
Shankar was the zonal president of Shyampur area of
Uttarakhand BJP`s women`s wing.
Within hours of the incident, Lakshman Singh was arrested
and booked under various Sections of the IPC. SSP Goswami said
he will now also be charged with murder.
President of Parwadun BJP district unit, Saroj Dimri,
claimed that the accused was Shankar`s relative and was angry
with her as she was pressurising the police to take action
against him in a case involving a local girl.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’ shoot will commence at this breathtaking location – See pic
- WATCH: How Sri Lanka's mystery spinner Lakshan Sandakan left Australia spellbound
- Antibodies that protect against Zika virus in mice identified, claim scientists
- Rio Olympics 2016: India to start with a bang
- Congress puts gag order on partymen, asks them not to make comments inconsistent with party stand