Woman BJP leader dies of burns in Delhi hospital
Dehradun: Geeta Shankar, a BJP leader who
was set on fire over a personal enmity at her house in
Rishikesh three days back, died in a Delhi hospital, a senior
police official said here on Monday.
Shankar died in Safdarjung Hospital in the national
capital last night, Dehradun Senior Superintendent of Police
G N Goswami said.
42-year-old Shankar was admitted to a hospital here on
September 23 with over 65 per cent burn injuries. The next day
she was referred to Safdarjung Hospital in view of her
The incident took place on Friday morning when a man,
identified as Lakshman Singh, reached Shankar`s house at THDC
colony in Rishikesh near here and set her on fire after
pouring petrol on her.
Shankar`s teenage daughter Khushboo (17), who was
present at the time of the incident, had died that day due to
shock after witnessing the gruesome incident.
Shankar was the zonal president of Shyampur area of
Uttarakhand BJP`s women`s wing.
Within hours of the incident, Lakshman Singh was arrested
and booked under various Sections of the IPC. SSP Goswami said
he will now also be charged with murder.
President of Parwadun BJP district unit, Saroj Dimri,
claimed that the accused was Shankar`s relative and was angry
with her as she was pressurising the police to take action
against him in a case involving a local girl.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America